Rate This App/Post:
BetterZip lets you quickly inspect archives without first extracting their contents. BetterZip For Mac is a fully-featured and user-friendly Mac OS X application that provides the required tools to compress files and folders, edit existing archives, preview their content and password protect sensitive data. You may also lick WinZip
Integration with Other Apps
- The new Finder extension puts all your presets in the Finder’s toolbar. Select some files in Finder, click the BetterZip button and choose one of your presets from the drop-down menu to create an archive with these files. Of course, you can also invoke any of your extraction presets on selected archives.
- BetterZip 4 lets you define as many services as you like instead of the preconfigured two that prior versions offered. Use the tools menu in the present configuration to add a service for the present with a name of your choosing.
- BetterZip 4 also comes with Automator actions for extracting and compressing as part of a workflow.
- And BetterZip 4 interacts nicely with other apps like Alfred, LaunchBar, and DropZone.
- All this is made possible by enhanced AppleScript support.
- The Favorites Sidebar Received Some Love: In the new version you can rename, copy, move, and delete archives, open an archive in a new window or a new tab, display and treat multi-volume archives as one item. You can also choose to show all files in the sidebar instead of only archives. Also, Finder labels!
- New Drop Bar: Drop files on the new Drop Bar with drop areas for your favorite presets to instantly compress or extract them.
- Navigation Bar: Drill into folders by double-clicking them like in Finder. A folder path is displayed above the archive contents which gives you easy navigation to all parent folders and allows you to drop items directly into them.
- Keep Archives Free of Mac Stuff: When modifying an archive that currently has no Mac-specific stuff (metadata, Finder settings, etc.) in it you can now keep all Mac stuff out, add Mac stuff to the archive, or be asked every time what you want to do. Set your preferred option on the General tab of the BetterZip preferences.
- Repair RAR Archives: If you install the external rar command line tool, BetterZip 4 can try to repair damaged archives when opening or extracting them. Recovery volumes are now treated like other parts of multi-volume rar archives.
- Extract Only Files You Really Need: If you only need a few files or folders from a larger archive, you don’t have to extract the whole thing. Simply drag the files you need from the BetterZip window to any Finder window or the desktop.
- Open Archives Without Extracting: Not only can BetterZip open archives without first extracting them but you can also search for a file using the iTunes-like interface. BetterZip can open and extract archives with the most common formats: ZIP, SIT, TAR, XAR, XZ, GZip, BZip2, RAR, 7-Zip, CPIO, ARJ, LZH/LHA, JAR, WAR, CAB, ISO, CHM, RPM, DEB, NSIS, BIN, HQX, DMG, EPUB, and Winmail.dat.
- Create Archives: Simply drag files and folders from your hard drives, disks, or network places into your new zip file. You no longer have to copy all the files into a temporary folder first. The supported formats are ZIP, TAR, GZip and BZip2 compressed TAR, XAR, 7-ZIP, and RAR (using the external RAR command line tool). Large archives can also be split.
- Protect Your Data: BetterZip can protect your data with a password and create AES-256 encrypted archives. 7-zip and rar archives can also be protected.
- Update Archives: Add new or updated files to existing archives. Remove any file or folder from an archive, or even move files around inside the archive as if it were a normal folder.
- Make Archives Compatible: Strip Mac-specific files and resource forks from archives for best compatibility with systems like Windows or Linux.
• BetterZip is now a notarized app and uses the “hardened runtime” for added security. Notarization means that Apple scans BetterZip for code-signing issues and possible security flaws before it is released.
• Better results when extracting broken rar archives.
• Added an Internet Access Policy file for Little Snitch which explains BetterZip’s internet usage (checking for updates and installing the external rar tool, if you choose to do so.)
• Updated file type detection to include more rar based archives.
• Extracting a large app (or any package really) with drag and drop while the preview for the app was still extracting could lead to an error.
• Fixed a problem with tar files whose name, excluding the last extension (tar.gz does usually not have the problem), is the same as the folder inside when they are extracted through the queue.
OS X 10.9 or later, 64-bit processor