Rate This App/Post:
Glyphs is a simple to use Mac OS X app designed to allow anyone to create new fonts and modify letterforms with ease. Glyphs main focus lays on streamlining the workflow. Glyphs also comes with support for scripting. Scripts can help with a lot of repetitive tasks and will allow you to access all internal data and methods.
The font editor for everyone.
Glyphs smart and simple approach helps you draw new fonts, modify existing fonts, and sculpt your letterforms hassle-free.
For instance, you can draw the exact shape for your glyph, adjust its spacing and kerning, and use the preview panel to get a quick overview of what the end result will look like once exported.
Sketch your font
- Take a pencil and sketch a few letters. With a few tricks, you can easily digitize your sketches, and, step by step, create a full-fledged OpenType font.
Tools for type
- The smart vector tools are optimised for the design of typefaces. Interpolated nudging, curvature control, dragging multiple handles at once, adding extrema and inflections, batch editing: all supported straight out of the box.
All languages covered
- Human-readable glyph names, combined with smart component placement, automatic alignment of diacritics, mark positioning, and Unicode 7 support, make Glyphs the number one choice for multilingual font development.
Isolation no more
- Watch your words take shape in high resolution: The edit view doubles as a text editor, allowing you to draw, edit, space and kern your glyphs in a word context rather than isolated in windows.
- Why stay monochromatic? Add color to your typographical life with the built-in multi-layer preview and specialized editing tools. Glyphs can export layer fonts, Microsoft-style color webfonts or Apple-style emoji fonts.
- Enjoy automatic OpenType features: Glyphs analyzes your glyph names and shapes, and can auto-build feature code for ligatures, figure sets, positional forms, localizations, fractions, stylistic sets, small caps, and many more.
- Up to three axes, any number of font masters, independent layers, glyph-based alternate and intermediate masters: You can do it all in Glyphs. Easily switch between masters, control outline compatibility and style linking, and generate a whole family in one go.
Mark attachment done right
- No more time-consuming fiddling with feature code: Glyphs can build the mark attachment features automatically for you, and even interpolate positions.
Full control batch processing
- Custom Parameters allow you to precisely steer what happens at the production stage. You always work in your design file, keep overlaps, and Glyphs takes care of the rest, using your parameters to build the installable font file.
- Letter parts or CJK radicals that re-appear in other glyphs, can be interpolated in place with Smart Components. This way, you can adjust the shape of the part without losing its stroke and contrast.
Take a hint
- Improve your font’s screen appearance with the built-in autohinter. Or manually hook up PostScript hints and TrueType instructions to your outlines. In Multiple Master files, hints in the first master are automatically copied to compatible masters.
- Third-party plugins such as Yanone’s amazing SpeedPunk, Python script libraries, and XML for alternate glyph data: extending and modifying the app’s functionality is a snap. With the freely available SDK, you can even roll your own.
- Fixed crashes
OS X 10.9.5 or later, 64-bit processor