Rate This App/Post:
Pacifist is a shareware application that opens Mac OS X .pkg package files, .dmg disk images, and .zip, .tar, .tar.gz, .tar.bz2, and .xar archives and allows you to extract individual files and folders out of them. This is useful, for instance, if an application which is installed by the operating system becomes damaged and needs to be reinstalled without the hassle of reinstalling all of Mac OS X, or if you want to inspect a downloaded package to see what it will install before installing it.
Pacifist is also able to verify existing installations and find missing or altered files*, and Pacifist can also examine the kernel extensions installed in your system to let you see what installer installed them, and whether the installer was made by Apple or a third-party.
Pacifist Key Features:
- Open up Mac OS X installer packages (.pkg and .mpkg) and extract individual files from them
- Open up many other common archive types found on Mac OS X
- Open some archive types directly over the World Wide Web
- Verify existing installations
- Examine kernel extensions
Transferring and unpacking large archives takes a lot of time and can prove to be counterproductive, especially if there are multiple unrelated files packed together. Pacifist is a powerful application that allows you to preview the archives content and enables you to extract only the files you need.
Unobtrusive yet easily accessible
Most of the Pacifist interactions are reduced to dragging and dropping the archives you want to preview on top of the Pacifist Dock icon. The app is able to deal with .dmg disk images, .pkg package files, and .zip / .tar / .tar.gz / .tar.bz2 / .xar archives. After processing the data, Pacifist opens a new window where you can browse the package contents or search for specific items. However, the more complex Pacifist features, are accessible via the apps main window: you can close it at any time, but it will reappear after you dismiss all other windows.
Open archives over the Internet
- While using Pacifist, you do not have to actually download the packages to be able to preview their content: simply input the archive URL in the “Open URL” dialogue and the app takes care of the rest.
Browse Apple installers
- Pacifist can be used to view the content of Apple install disks or packages that include Mac OS X installers. As a result, you can extract only specific files and try to repair your system without having to reinstall it. In addition, via the “Search Receipts” function, Pacifist is able to determine the app that generated a certain file, allowing you to find out how you can fix certain issues.
Powerful yet easy to use unarchiver
- Pacifist proposes simple yet efficient solutions for browsing the content of various types of archives without taking the time to actually extract the data. All in all, the app is a great tool to have around at all times.
- Fixed a bug that could cause Pacifist to fail to open packages that had been expanded and re-flattened on macOS 10.13 (“High Sierra”)
- Miscellaneous bug fixes
OS X 10.8 or later, 64-bit processor